Monday, December 7, 2009

Biting off more than you can chew.

I'm continuing with 'Choke,' so if you haven't read it, don't, because by reading this you will probably get the whole synopsis. Or maybe you should read it because I feel like it's the right thing to do to encourage people to read.

So this is the story: A man goes to restaurant. Man orders food. Halfway through meal, said man purposefully makes himself choke on said food. He almost dies. People in the restaurant rush over to save him. Again, he does this on purpose.

When I first started reading this book, I tried to think of legitimate reasons why a person would actually do this. Let me tell you what "man's" justification is. He plainly states that he does it to make people feel like heros. That if someone saves your life, they'll remember you, and they'll remember that day forever. Not what you were expecting, right? Me neither.

So this is the question I pose: Is it right to make someone think they're doing something heroic, even though they're being lied to?

Author's opinion: In all honesty, yes. I'm thinking about it right now, and if someone is nice enough to shove a cow down their throat just so I can remember that I did something terrifically awesome and boost my self-esteem.... then I will rightfully so love them forever. Good for you. Everyone's new life goal: inhale dinner in a crowded room.

No comments:

Post a Comment